Saturday, March 25, 2017

Demonheart available as a visual novel

As announced around a year ago here, I've converted Demonheart into a standalone game.
It will be coming out in 5 short chapters, on Steam and itch.io.

Currently available:
Chapter 1 - Descension
Chapter 2 - Reverie


For everyone coming after playing the modules, the visual novel is an alternate universe. It begins before the player got acquainted with Orchid and deals with the Orchid/Raze + Rivera storylines. Some of the content you've already seen, but most has been rewritten. You can see on the game pages what it is and what it isn't (everything that is not shown, you can assume the game does not contain).

There is also a web page here. I'm not sure yet if and where I'll keep a development blog for the new game, but I'll link it if I make one.

5 comments:

  1. I'm proud of how far you've come and changed the game...but I have to say. I miss the nwn mod, it had an immersion that a visual novel just doesn't have. One being getting to create your own character and decide more in your head how they came to be in the situation. Keep doing what your doing and I hope it all works out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: Chapter 2 has been added to the game builds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great chapter and some rather large changes compared to the mod. Love having a proper party and look forward to what it will bring even if I suspect it will not end well.

    I do miss the darkness and feeling of dread that the mod could deliver due to not holding back.
    Still the mood is great and probably with a strong impact for first timers. It is also nice though to not feel drained after playing as I'd do from the mod.

    Had a voice line from Brash that seem'd out of place, same one as in act 1 prison I think. But I failed to find it on a second playtrough so not sure if it was a bug or just my mind playing tricks on me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I would like to point out a few bugs i noticed.
    In the second chapter I had shadow characters stay in place. Also when i see Mark again in the second chapter he says hello bright nice to see you in the nobles district. And the voice overs in the second chapter do not seem to work well. The first time i played there were hardly any, the second time around playing chapter two I heard voice overs from Raze, Brash and Jarlan, the third time around i didn't hear anything from them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the reports!

    I found the source of the voice bug. It was a pretty bad bug, I'm surprised more people didn't report it. That's what happens when I'm testing with a sleeping kid in the room and sound turned off. Actually, there was no issue when you started C2 separately. That's why I think more people didn't notice.

    Character model bugs are more difficult to test, but I made a possible fix for the shadows remaining when the characters disappear. These 2 fixes are in v1.26, just published.

    ReplyDelete